Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Wellness Revolution

A decade ago if you would have seen me on the street, you would have thought that I was healthy and fit, which just goes to show that you can't judge a book by it's cover! Most of my life I've been able to maintain a fairly slender build...and the times I haven't...well, at those times I learned to be a master of disguise. :)

There comes a point in life where eventually you ask yourself "if I don't do anything different where will I end up?" I reached that point just prior to my 5oth birthday, I felt like I had one foot in the grave and couldn't envision the aging process going very well for me considering how lousy I felt...between the monthly migraines that lasted for days at a time, extreme joint & tissue pain, insomnia, and depression...probably brought on by all of the other issues. I felt like a ticking time bomb.

I'm a huge skeptic, so when a client of mine told me that I should go see a lady that she and her husband had gone to for years and that she would whip me up a tincture, (her words!) I had visions of some far out, hippy type person, mixing up herbal remedies! Much to my surprise, she was a very professional lady in a suit...imagine that. That's where my journey started and I've been on a mission ever since to make sure that I don't end up like the majority of the population who work their whole life, save their money, plan for their retirement, and then end up with some illness or disease that either takes away their quality of life or wipes out everything that they have worked for. The sad truth is that it's not just the older population...according to statistics over 1 million middle and upper middle class Americans are forced into bankruptcy every year due to medical related issues. What's even sad er is that most of it could have been prevented.


The book The New Wellness Revolution, by author Paul Zane Pilzer, called "economist turned wellness guru" by the New York Times, has many examples of "why" a Wellness Revolution is necessary. Paul received an honorary doctorate for the role the book played in helping Congress pass Health Savings Accounts (HSA) and other health care reforms-reforms that now allow wellness-oriented consumers to save money on their health insurance and finance their wellness.

Although millions of new consumers every day embrace wellness, millions more remain outside the reach of the current wellness industry and become more overweight, malnourished, exercise less and or continue to smoke.

The New Wellness Revolution explains how the population of every developed nation continues to divide itself into two opposing socio-economic groups - those who are fit and healthy and take care of their wellness, and those who don't.

We are only at the beginning of the public consciousness of this growing need - because most people still are not aware of how simple choices affect their health and well being.

Approximately one-sixth of the US economy, about $2.0 trillion, is devoted to what is erroneously called the "health care" business. Health care is a misnomer, as this one-sixth of the economy is really devoted to the sickness business - defined in the dictionary as "ill health, illness, a disordered, weakened, or unsound condition, or a specific disease."

The sickness business is reactive. Despite its enormous size, people become customers only when they are stricken by and react to a specific condition or ailment. No one really wants to become a customer.

Most of the one-sixth of the U.S. adult working population that work in the health care industry today focus on treating the symptoms of disease rather than on preventing disease. This is because it is more profitable for medical companies to research and develop products that create customers for life.

The wellness business is proactive. People voluntarily become customers - to feel healthier, to reduce the effects of aging, and to avoid becoming customers of the sickness business.

Wellness is defined as "the quality or state of being in good health especially as an actively sought goal (emphasis added)"

The above statements are taken from the book The new Wellness Revolution...so don't get upset with the messenger!

I've been told by a few in the medical profession that if government health care does in fact happen, we won't even be able to get vitamins without a prescription! Wake up people...we CAN NOT afford to lose anymore of our rights.


















No comments: